[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Bug: Players start to disappear from pitch; one per turn

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 pm

Bug: Players start to disappear from pitch; one per turn

THE DUGOUT : Have a technical problem? Share it with the community.
  • Author

kraepei

Bug: Players start to disappear from pitch; one per turn

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am

Beginning at about turn 22, at the start of each team's turn, one player is removed from the pitch. If this is a "feature" to prevent overly long games, I think it is not a good workaround - or at a minimum, should be controllable through a game option.
Attachments
Replay_2014-07-05_02-23-50.zip
(21.72 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times

Reed

Re: Bug: Players start to disappear from pitch; one per turn

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 10:25 pm

It is a feature of the game and has been since the start. It's OK to limit the match length. They can still go on for almost 3 hours which is really long already (I've played at least 34-turn matches). If the players didn't disappear they could run on for a lot longer than that.

The first disappearance happens at the end of turn 24. You can find this data (under "Warp out") and a lot more here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=673

kraepei

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the response. I think the "warp in" and "warp out" features at specific turns should be configurable. I was disappointed when my opponent got the ball with just two players left on the field, but then lost because his players were whisked off the field. I would have preferred to beat him fair-and-square.

kraepei

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 am

Once again. The opponent stole the ball just at the goal line. Then, ran it almost all the way down the field. But, starting at turn 24 players started being removed from the pitch. He should have won, but lost because of this STUPID non-optional WORKAROUND. This really needs to be a game option, or removed entirely.

Reed

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Sorry, but I think you're wrong about this. The match length needs to be limited somehow. This is as good a system as any.

It hasn't been a problem and thousands of people have played tens of thousands matches with the limit in place. If the matches were allowed to go on indefinitely we'd see a lot of people just dropping out of matches and possibly never playing again. Few people can afford to spend three or possibly a lot more hours on a single match.

kraepei

PostSat Sep 27, 2014 9:40 am

Reed - thank you for explaining. You make some very good points, and I understand and agree that a game limit is needed for general play. Even in Blood Bowl there is a limit of 16 turns; players must strategize accordingly, and I am quite fine with that rule.

However, when the time limit on Blood Bowl runs out the game ends in a draw. Consider, that the Dungeon Bowl method of removing players actually favors brute teams over agility teams. Typically, agility teams will always have less players on the pitch near the end of the game. After serving a minimal beat-down, a brute team need only defend their goal and wait for the clock to start picking off the rest of the agility team's players, and thereby win by attrition. Granted, this would not be a fun game, but it would be a sound tactic.

Anyway, if no one else is complaining, then I guess I am the only one that has a problem with this "feature" and will just need to get used to it and play accordingly - although I still wish there could be a "match option" to disable it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and explain the reasoning behind what I had previously thought was a "not too well thought out workaround", but was actually put in place to help maintain the player base.

Return to Technical Forum