[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm

Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

THE DUGOUT : Have a technical problem? Share it with the community.
  • Author

Paddywhack

Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm

In the last two games I have had guys who were standing on the teleporter throw a block (not a blitz) against someone and they knock them down. After they knock them down my the teleporter activated as if I had stepped onto it. I do not see or remember this in the rules (did I miss it). Is this a known glitch?

The first game was just annoying as it cost me position, but the last game my guy got zapped into the warp. So I manage to get a great block and get punished for it. Thanks!

Reed

Re: Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 pm

It's a bug and has been mentioned before in this forum -- but not fixed yet. Or even commented upon by Cyanide.

Paddywhack

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Well I hope they fix it. IT allowed a trapped DR to port into a much better position. Really hurt my chances. (I ended up winning due to a different bug (game not ending when all players off field and it continues to port other player out, forcing a sudden death, but the wrong player wins), but these are pretty big bugs that can change the outcome of the game. I don't like winning like that...

douglowe

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 pm

I think it's more of a differing interpretation (or, misinterpretation, if you like ;)) of the rules by cyanide than an actual bug. When I played TT dungeonbowl with friends we ruled that it was just movement onto the teleporter which activates it - but cyanide are interpreting it as being any action on the teleporter (be it a move or a block) activates it (I think it's also activated if you're standing on the teleporter and get knocked down where you are, which doesn't seem right to me either). I prefer the rules to be that it's only activated by movement (and it would be nice if bouncing balls would get teleported too if they land on one), but I can't see cyanide changing this anytime soon.

Paddywhack

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 pm

The DB rules say they only activate if you move onto them and they specifically say that the ball is immune from the teleporters (they put a spell on it to not port). It just scatters if it lands on a port.

douglowe

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 1:57 am

Paddywhack wrote:The DB rules say they only activate if you move onto them and they specifically say that the ball is immune from the teleporters (they put a spell on it to not port). It just scatters if it lands on a port.

Ahh, I'd read that as just meaning that the ball couldn't be lost in time and space - oh well, guess cyanide are closer to the proper rules in that respect than we were on the tabletop.

Reed

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 am

douglowe wrote:
Paddywhack wrote:The DB rules say they only activate if you move onto them and they specifically say that the ball is immune from the teleporters (they put a spell on it to not port). It just scatters if it lands on a port.

Ahh, I'd read that as just meaning that the ball couldn't be lost in time and space.

Dungeonbowl rules, page 3, "LOST IN SPACE":
"The ball cannot be lost in space (it is magically protected), and will instead drop to the ground and then scatter from the pad the player was on. Dropping the ball in this way will cause a turn-over."

The rules do not explicitly specify what happens if the ball scatters onto a teleport pad. As Doug says, the ball just cannot be lost in space with the player carrying it. We need to infer what is supposed to happen to a ball scattering onto a teleport pad. Arguments can be made for either option (teleports / scatters) based on certain passages in the rules (to be continued, have to run now). It would be very nice to hear Cyanide's official thinking on this. Jolly? Anyone?

Reed

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 12:38 pm

The rules do not explicitly specify what happens if the ball scatters onto a teleport pad. ... We need to infer what is supposed to happen to a ball scattering onto a teleport pad. Arguments can be made for either option (teleports / scatters) based on certain passages in the rules

Dungeonbowl rules, page 4, "FALLING INTO THINGS":
"If he was carrying the ball, it will magically reappear at a randomly selected teleporter pad."

The ball is teleported automatically when it falls off the pitch with a player. Consider also that a player can carry a ball through a teleport (assumed, no explicit mention in the rules but fits the intent of the teleportation rules = being able to avoid a draw and score at all times). Thus, ball teleportation is something desired and useful. Thus, a ball scattering onto a teleport pad will be teleported.

Dungeonbowl rules, page 3, "LOST IN SPACE":
"The ball cannot be lost in space (it is magically protected), and will instead drop to the ground and then scatter from the pad the player was on."

Here, the ball scatters from the pad at teleportation. Thus, it is not desirable to teleport the ball. Thus, it is not teleported when it scatters on a pad. But this is only a special rule protecting the ball from being lost from the game when the lost in space rule is invoked. This seems the weaker case of the two.

Based solely on this shallow analysis of the rules it seems the ball should be teleported when it scatters on a pad. But we should consider also the wider ramifications. This adds one more element of randomness into an already pretty random game. Do we really need or want more? Do we want more surprising appearances of the ball in another part of the dungeon, forcing a rethink of the state of play?

On the other hand, it gives a coach another (unreliable) tool to use to maybe get the ball to a more advantageous position in a situation where they can make the opponent lose the ball next to a pad or maybe try to bounce the ball to a pad by throwing it at a wall or the floor. Pretty much a desperation play, then. Seems to slightly favour the underdog coach and not likely to be used if you're in the stronger position -- unless you're feeling very bold or silly.

Reed

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 1:02 pm

douglowe wrote:I think it's more of a differing interpretation (or, misinterpretation, if you like ;)) of the rules by cyanide than an actual bug. When I played TT dungeonbowl with friends we ruled that it was just movement onto the teleporter which activates it - but cyanide are interpreting it as being any action on the teleporter (be it a move or a block) activates it (I think it's also activated if you're standing on the teleporter and get knocked down where you are, which doesn't seem right to me either).

The rules are actually clear and explicit about this. There is no room for interpretation.

Dungeonbowl rules, page 3, "TELEPORTING":
"When a player moves onto a pad, roll a D6. The player is immediately teleported to the pad with the same number."

"When a player moves onto a pad". That is, when they voluntarily step onto a pad or when they are pushed there. Not when they do something or anything while standing on a pad. Not while they have something or anything done to them while standing on a pad. Not blocking or being blocked on a pad.

Cyanide's decisions on this, conscious or incidental to the program code implementation, are not interpretations. They are rule changes.

It is a great pity Cyanide has not explicitly, clearly and above all comprehensively listed their rule changes anywhere. They could still help us the players out a great deal by doing just that. Cyanide, if you are listening, could you please create a list of the Cyanide Dungeonbowl rule differences from the two Games Workshop rule books on the game web site? I'm sure active volunteers will appear to help you with the work if you need them, but it is you who would need to get the ball rolling.

Actually, when in comes to Cyanide documentation about teleportation, the game manual has this to say on page 35:
"Teleporters
There are teleporters in a dungeon. A player need only step on one to use it"

That is all that is said about it and you are told to see the Games Workshop rules for further information. This means there should be no teleporting on blocks even according to Cyanide's own documentation. So the current situation is not just a rule change, it is an undocumented rule change. Fun times.

Paddywhack

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 8:02 pm

I really hope this gets fixed very soon. This an other small bugs are really killing any enjoyment I have for this game. Its already a small player base (very small) and I'm about ready to give up.
Next

Return to Technical Forum