[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:34 am

Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

THE DUGOUT : Have a technical problem? Share it with the community.
  • Author

douglowe

Re: Teleporting after blocking from a teleport space

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Reed wrote:The rules are actually clear and explicit about this. There is no room for interpretation.

Dungeonbowl rules, page 3, "TELEPORTING":
"When a player moves onto a pad, roll a D6. The player is immediately teleported to the pad with the same number."

"When a player moves onto a pad". That is, when they voluntarily step onto a pad or when they are pushed there. Not when they do something or anything while standing on a pad. Not while they have something or anything done to them while standing on a pad. Not blocking or being blocked on a pad.

Cyanide's decisions on this, conscious or incidental to the program code implementation, are not interpretations. They are rule changes.

It is a great pity Cyanide has not explicitly, clearly and above all comprehensively listed their rule changes anywhere. They could still help us the players out a great deal by doing just that. Cyanide, if you are listening, could you please create a list of the Cyanide Dungeonbowl rule differences from the two Games Workshop rule books on the game web site? I'm sure active volunteers will appear to help you with the work if you need them, but it is you who would need to get the ball rolling.

Actually, when in comes to Cyanide documentation about teleportation, the game manual has this to say on page 35:
"Teleporters
There are teleporters in a dungeon. A player need only step on one to use it"

That is all that is said about it and you are told to see the Games Workshop rules for further information. This means there should be no teleporting on blocks even according to Cyanide's own documentation. So the current situation is not just a rule change, it is an undocumented rule change. Fun times.

Like all parts of the dungeonbowl rules I'd say that the rules on this aren't definitive - movement is explicitly discussed, but nothing is said as to how actions such as blocking. We interpret the lack of mention of these actions as that they do not active the teleporter - whereas cyanide have decided to rule that actions do active the teleporter.

I am as annoyed with cyanide as the next coach over rules errors which they've made in bloodbowl and haven't corrected over the last 3 years that the game has been out - but in the case of designing dungeonbowl I think the "fault" is more with games workshop for not producing a comprehensive and detailed ruleset rather than the essay which we currently have. Cyanide have had to work out precise rules for a lot of ambiguous situations which are not covered in the rules essay - while I may disagree with the interpretations that they've made I don't think that most of them have been rules changes, but more writing rules where none existed before.

douglowe

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Paddywhack wrote:I really hope this gets fixed very soon. This an other small bugs are really killing any enjoyment I have for this game. Its already a small player base (very small) and I'm about ready to give up.

Teleporting after blocking is helping to kill your enjoyment of the game? Seriously? Do you not think you're indulging in hyperbole just a little here? :?

Paddywhack

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 6:58 am

douglowe wrote:
Paddywhack wrote:I really hope this gets fixed very soon. This an other small bugs are really killing any enjoyment I have for this game. Its already a small player base (very small) and I'm about ready to give up.

Teleporting after blocking is helping to kill your enjoyment of the game? Seriously? Do you not think you're indulging in hyperbole just a little here? :?

No, because its not a rule of the game. I want to play by the rules that I know. Getting 'punished' for something that shouldn't happen at is annoying. And this isn't the only bug by any means. If it were just this, then I could understand, but there are quite a few errors that still come up. When I have at least a couple of bug/rules misinterpretations in every game it does ruin my enjoyment. If I were playing TT we wouldn't have these issues. If I win or lose I don't want it to because of a bug that doesn't play a rule correctly.

Reed

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 8:57 am

Many of these issues are about rule interpretation and Cyanide being forced to implement new rules where none exist in the written documents (which are on a pretty general level and besides straight up tell you to make up your own rules to complement them and make the experience your own). There are also bugs, as we all know.

One way to look at this is that the current computer game is one version of Dungeonbowl, DM'd by Cyanide. It might not be exactly the version any of us have played before, but it is a playable version with discoverable rules and you can get someone to play with you pretty painlessly. The online version makes it possible to play two-three games every night if you like. I know I have for a couple of weeks now. How often do any of us get to play tabletop Dungeonbowl?

It takes a pretty special real life situation to be able to play as much Dungeonbowl with miniatures as you can with the online version. The PC version is a lot quicker to play in any case with the computer taking care of the setup, bookkeeping and remembering and enforcing the rules. Also, no need to buy expensive figurines and use a lot of time to paint them. By playing a lot your skills and understanding of the game develop quickly. You can also enjoy the rich and rapid interaction in chat and here on the forum with other people excited about Dungeonbowl.

I'd say the good things outweigh the bad with a pretty large margin. It's a challenge to work around the bugs, misinterpretations and differing interpretations but challenge is what these games are all about, isn't it? We can enjoy the computer game for what it currently is without needing it to be exactly what our previous image of a game of Dungeonbowl is. It's just different, but it's still lots of fun to play!

We can adapt to the current features and use them to the best of our abilities. No blocking after teleport? Ok, get used to it, use it to your advantage, make the opponent take the brunt of it's impact. At least until the feature is changed, if ever.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't campaign for the course corrections we deem beneficial, but let's still play and let's still have fun in the mean time! I know I will.

Coach Jester

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 am

Reed wrote:Many of these issues are about rule interpretation and Cyanide being forced to implement new rules where none exist in the written documents (which are on a pretty general level and besides straight up tell you to make up your own rules to complement them and make the experience your own). There are also bugs, as we all know.

One way to look at this is that the current computer game is one version of Dungeonbowl, DM'd by Cyanide. It might not be exactly the version any of us have played before, but it is a playable version with discoverable rules and you can get someone to play with you pretty painlessly. The online version makes it possible to play two-three games every night if you like. I know I have for a couple of weeks now. How often do any of us get to play tabletop Dungeonbowl?

It takes a pretty special real life situation to be able to play as much Dungeonbowl with miniatures as you can with the online version. The PC version is a lot quicker to play in any case with the computer taking care of the setup, bookkeeping and remembering and enforcing the rules. Also, no need to buy expensive figurines and use a lot of time to paint them. By playing a lot your skills and understanding of the game develop quickly. You can also enjoy the rich and rapid interaction in chat and here on the forum with other people excited about Dungeonbowl.

I'd say the good things outweigh the bad with a pretty large margin. It's a challenge to work around the bugs, misinterpretations and differing interpretations but challenge is what these games are all about, isn't it? We can enjoy the computer game for what it currently is without needing it to be exactly what our previous image of a game of Dungeonbowl is. It's just different, but it's still lots of fun to play!

We can adapt to the current features and use them to the best of our abilities. No blocking after teleport? Ok, get used to it, use it to your advantage, make the opponent take the brunt of it's impact. At least until the feature is changed, if ever.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't campaign for the course corrections we deem beneficial, but let's still play and let's still have fun in the mean time! I know I will.

+1
Previous

Return to Technical Forum