[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Getting to place only 5 players on pitch -> crash

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:41 am

Getting to place only 5 players on pitch -> crash

THE DUGOUT : Have a technical problem? Share it with the community.
  • Author

Reed

Getting to place only 5 players on pitch -> crash

PostThu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 am

Dungeonbowl crashed in the following situation:
- One of my players was MNG injured and not available for the match.
- When the match started, there were only 5 players in my starting area. I could switch players with them from the player list on the right normally, but I could not place a sixth player on the pitch.
- On the player list on the right there were only 4 players (see attached screenshot). My team has 12 players (one MNG) so there should have been 6 players on the list if only 5 of them are on the pitch and in any case 5 players if the normal 6 had been on the pitch.
- When I clicked Accept I got this dialog window: "You do not have 11 players on the field. Do you want to confirm your positioning? No - Yes"
- I clicked Yes. The game crashed. I got a loss for this (listed in Matches played as "Home team disconnected from server"). Cyanide, I would really like to have this loss removed from my team. I do not feel it is fair that a successful team was punished because of programming errors.

The team name is Blood Pudding and my coach name is Reed. I "played" yesterday Wednesday July 25th starting at 21.10 French time against grief's team Mono.

Here are some factors that mght have affected this error:
- The MNG injured (Pinched Nerve) player was a Norse Werewolf named Rakr Ulvarson, player number 11.
- I have another Norse Werewolf with the same name! His number is 10. He was OK and should have been on the pitch or on the list, but he was missing from both of them. I never noticed before that the game randomly assigned the same name to my two werewolfs when I bought them. Surely this should not happen! Please fix your name picking code to avoid duplicates.
- Neither of the werewolfs were available for the match. The game erroneously left number 10 out. I sure hope you are not using player names when checking injured players to leave out (instead of unique player ID numbers). This would explain why the guy with the same name as an injured one was not available to be placed on the pitch.
- The other player that was missing at player set-up time is the human blitzer number 12, Maxmillian Hermann. He's the latest player to have been bought (2 matches ago at the time) and the last on the list (number 12 out of 12).

I know the "MNG injured player causing missing players at set-up time" bug has been around for a long time already in Blood Bowl. It is still lurking around in Dungeonbowl and affecting us Dungeonbowl customers in a very negative way. This is not the first time in Dungeonbowl that I have been unable to pick from all of my players at start-up time (they do appear in the reserve after the match starts, the same as it is with this bug in Blood Bowl), but this is the first time the game crashes because of this bug.

What on earth is going on with the "You do not have 11 players on the field" dialog? It must be a leftover from Blood Bowl in the code, but even in Blood Bowl it makes no sense as if you are able to place 11 players on the pitch you must always do so. The UI does not even allow you to place less than that on the pitch.

If you do nothing else and are unable to fix your match start-up player placement code (it seems you cannot as this has been known for so long), please, please make it so that if the "You do not have 11 players on the field" dialog is ever shown a special encrypted message is sent to the server telling it to ignore the crash that is going to follow in a few seconds and to not enter it into the permanent records of the two teams involved.

Unfortunately I don't have the game logs as I didn't think to immediately copy them. I restarted the game after the crash to see what happened to the team and the logs were overwritten. It would be good if you saved one or two backups of them so you would still have them available in a situation like this (new files: the current match, backup one: the last match, backup two: the match before last).

I include the game replay. In it, you can see werewolf number 10 on the pitch for a while (6 players on pitch!) but then he suddenly disappears. I don't remember seeing him there during the match, but I'm not sure. The replay does not reflect reality after the crash at the end of my set-up time.

The symptoms displayed clearly point to an error in the way the game handles player arrays. There is something badly wrong in the way the player IDs or pointers are stored in the array or a MNG player is removed (flagged?) from the array or the way you iterate through the array at start-up time or some similar error. Somehow you end up with a broken array in this situation. Please fix this long-time issue if at all possible! It is a serious impediment to the long-term enjoyment of the game and you have been told so many, many times. Why is not something done about it, already?
Attachments
Replay_2012-07-25_22-10-11.zip
(17.94 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
Only_five_players_small.jpg
Only_five_players_small.jpg (121.79 KiB) Viewed 3399 times

Return to Technical Forum