[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Changelog: Patch 11.0.0.6

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:56 pm

Changelog: Patch 11.0.0.6

THE DUGOUT : Have a technical problem? Share it with the community.
  • Author

Evilstein

Re: Changelog: Patch 11.0.0.6

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Cpt Blaster gived you the answers.
The DB rules from Jervis was wrote for the LRB 2 or 3 not the 6.

So there is no interpretation to do but an adaptation.

douglowe

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Evilstein wrote:Cpt Blaster gived you the answers.
The DB rules from Jervis was wrote for the LRB 2 or 3 not the 6.

So there is no interpretation to do but an adaptation.

Evilstein I am aware that the DB rules that Jarvis wrote are for a different version of BB, not the CRP - that was my whole point in the discussion with Captian Blaster.

Interpretation/adaptation are two sides of the same coin. what Captain Blaster was trying to argue is that rules are rules, and there is no interpretation needed. So I asked him to point out to me the *exact* rules for the situations I listed, not what his (or anyone else's) interpretation/adaptation/bastardisation of the rules are. He completely missed the point of my question, and so, I fear, have you.

My point is that the ruleset is *far* from complete, that there is a lot of interpretation/adaptation needed to create an actual game; even more so to create a computer game rather than a board game, because the computer requires a ruleset which covers *all* combinations of possible events, whereas we gamers can make up rulings on the fly if we happen across an unusual situation which will only happen once in a blue moon.

So, I come back to my original post, which was that we can disagree with the interpretations/adaptations that cyanide have made when creating DB, but - unless it is an actual contradiction of the written rules - we should recognize that it is as valid an adaptation as any that we might suggest. I wish that Cyanide would listen a lot more to us when making their decisions on what adaptations they make; and I wish that Games Workshop weren't quite so precious about their Intellectual Property that they won't allow the proper changes needed to allow Dungeon Bowl to reach it's full potential as a game separate to Blood Bowl, rather than being a poor cousin with a borrowed mix of poorly conceived and straight out irrelevant rules. But at the same time I appreciate that Cyanide had the balls to put this game together in the first place, and so I think that it's a little cheeky that a lot of people seem to only come onto these forums to bitch and moan about Cyanide.

Gaixo

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Because DungeonBowl isn't only (or even primarily, one could argue) a computer game, the players aren't as likely to just accept what the developers feed them. Many of us have more experience with the game system than the developers do, and it's hard to avoid feeling disrespected when our views are ignored. To put it more simply, the majority of us do not believe that Cyanide's interpretation is as valid as any other.

With that being said, Blaster and Evilstein could certainly tone down the belligerence.

katadder

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 10:35 pm

which part of the written rules did cyanide interpret to mean players start teleporting out at turn 24 (turn 25 for player 1) and 1st player to lose all their players forfeits?

douglowe

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Gaixo wrote:Because DungeonBowl isn't only (or even primarily, one could argue) a computer game, the players aren't as likely to just accept what the developers feed them. Many of us have more experience with the game system than the developers do, and it's hard to avoid feeling disrespected when our views are ignored. To put it more simply, the majority of us do not believe that Cyanide's interpretation is as valid as any other.

I agree - it's very frustrating as I think that the game could be made much better with just a little more thought. And it is true that there's a lot more knowledge of the game system in the player base than in Cyanide. But it's still early days yet; the CRP took 10+ years to get right, maybe dungeon bowl can be improved too.

douglowe

PostThu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 am

katadder wrote:which part of the written rules did cyanide interpret to mean players start teleporting out at turn 24 (turn 25 for player 1) and 1st player to lose all their players forfeits?

Nowhere - but the turn limits in bloodbowl were only introduced with 3rd Ed (in 2nd Ed you played until one team scored 3 TDs), so dungeon bowl didn't originally have a turn limit either.

I think that Cyanide were right to introduce a turn limit - but I don't think that their current implementation is up to much good. It needs to be changed - this is the most pressing development issue at the moment as I see it - hopefully our new mods can convince cyanide that this needs correcting to something more sensible (like a simple draw if the match hits turn 24) to stop the power gaming and stalling which is currently spoiling the game.

Captain Blaster

PostThu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 am

douglowe wrote:So I asked him to point out to me the *exact* rules for the situations I listed

And I gave you the EXACT point, but you little ungrateful nap didn't get it all. Told you to play something else, cause you will never get this game. How about playing Solitär...........

BTW, never saw a bigger Cyanide asskisser than you............

katadder

PostThu Aug 16, 2012 10:28 am

douglowe wrote:
katadder wrote:which part of the written rules did cyanide interpret to mean players start teleporting out at turn 24 (turn 25 for player 1) and 1st player to lose all their players forfeits?

Nowhere - but the turn limits in bloodbowl were only introduced with 3rd Ed (in 2nd Ed you played until one team scored 3 TDs), so dungeon bowl didn't originally have a turn limit either.

I think that Cyanide were right to introduce a turn limit - but I don't think that their current implementation is up to much good. It needs to be changed - this is the most pressing development issue at the moment as I see it - hopefully our new mods can convince cyanide that this needs correcting to something more sensible (like a simple draw if the match hits turn 24) to stop the power gaming and stalling which is currently spoiling the game.

i know that as I used to play it. however JJs rules for dungeon bowl were based off 3rd ed not 2nd ed, when 3rd ed had a turn limit but still DB didnt. and cyanide basiclaly made up their own rule, pretty much as they do most the time.

douglowe

PostThu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 am

Captain Blaster wrote:
douglowe wrote:So I asked him to point out to me the *exact* rules for the situations I listed

And I gave you the EXACT point, but you little ungrateful nap didn't get it all. Told you to play something else, cause you will never get this game. How about playing Solitär...........

BTW, never saw a bigger Cyanide asskisser than you............

And still you don't understand. Oh well. :roll:

douglowe

PostThu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 am

katadder wrote:
douglowe wrote:

i know that as I used to play it. however JJs rules for dungeon bowl were based off 3rd ed not 2nd ed, when 3rd ed had a turn limit but still DB didnt. and cyanide basiclaly made up their own rule, pretty much as they do most the time.

Yep - cyanide made up their own rule, where none existed before. But if they'd left the game with no turn limit then we'd have ended up with some games taking 24 hours or more as some coaches with bashy teams would just turtle until their opponent conceded out of sheer frustration. So it's good that cyanide made up this rule - as a stop gap it's fine, we just need to get them to improve on it now.
PreviousNext

Return to Technical Forum