[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Alone in the Dark by Wobert

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 am

Alone in the Dark by Wobert

Introduce your home-made dungeons created via de dungeon editor!
  • Author

Wobert

Alone in the Dark by Wobert

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Dungeon Name: Alone in the Dark

Size: 1872 cells (it's a big 'un)

Description: The main hall is a large room with two corridors or wings on either side. In the middle of the main hall are two teleporters, there are an additional 2 in either wing.

In additon there are 6 locked rooms, with no way in or out except via the Transporter pads. Each locked room as a chest in. Teams will therefore need to split up, some will need to try and hold the main hall while others will jump from room to room to find the ball.

My philosophy with map buidling (get me, I build one dungeon and suddenly I have a philosophy!) is that you need something for bash and agility teams. In this dungeon, the locked rooms will probably favour the bash teams but the large main hall with its wide open spaces will definitely help the agility teams move the ball about fast.

How does it play?: I've play tested it a couple of times and its a lot of fun (though I say it myself). The locked rooms provide lots of mini encounters whereas the main hall is a lot of fun to try and hold the entry / exit points. I had a very smug Dwarf Blocker who pushed a human Lineman into a teleporter, seemingly clearing the area. However, this set off a chain reaction and suddenly the Human Lineman was replaced by a large and angry looking Yhetti. The said Yhetti then splatted the smug Dwarf and I totally lost control of the middle of the hall and ultimately the game!

Coach Jester

Re: Alone in the Dark by Wobert

PostThu Jun 07, 2012 7:15 am

epic and love it
i vote 11/10 thats eleven out of ten :D

RobertJPowell

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 1:11 am

This actually looks like fun. Will have to try this at some point.

TrickyD

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 am

:D Hiya Wobert I've tested your dungeon and it is indeed fun to play.
However I have a few tips:
1. Use more torches, braziers & lanters.
Your dungeon is simply too dark which makes it easy to miss out on the small but important details.
For instance, in the caged Chestroom I ínitially missed that I was in a caged room since there was no lighting there.
Then again, the use of more lighting would mean that you'd have to change the title.
Or maybe you could then call it alone in te Underdark?

But I have to adnit that I love your use of colored lanters directly positioned behind the caged dancers.
:lol: This gave me the idea of creating a used (dark)elven discotheque for a DB dungeon.

2. I don't know if you want your dungeon to be official, but if I'm not mistaken the rule states that all corridors have to be at least 2 squares wide, otherwise big guys couldn't enter the area on table-top versions.

All in all, despite the the darkness, I liked it.

Teutatis

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Oh is that where you got that 2 square thing from, wasn;t that and earlier version of the game. I seem to remeber it being changed from 2+ squares down to just 1 square. Might be from BB rules or something...I did come across this while reading a lot of DB and BB sites recently to try and catch up with what I've missed over the years.
Pound for pound, has less Dakka-Dakka than your average player

TrickyD

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm

:| I dunno if the base of table-top Bg's have changed, but if I'm not mistaken that was the reason why corridors have to be at least 2sq wide. I know this doesn't apply to the PC version, but if you wanna stay as close to the official rules then all corridors have to be at least 2sq wide for the BG's.

douglowe

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Dungeonbowl was brought out for 2nd Ed bloodbowl - when big guys did take up 4 squares. But that was long along (back when I were a lad in the 1890's). Current BB is built on 3rd Ed (with much improvement), for which all players take up just one square on the pitch, so the same restrictions don't apply to access for big guys.

Of course, it is better to use 2 square corridors, as 1 square corridors are very easy to block, esp. if you're a death roller. But if the majority of your corridors are 2+ squares wide (which it looks like yours are) then I don't think it matters too much.

TrickyD

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 2:59 pm

:D Ah, so 1 square corridors are official also?
Good to know.
Thx for the info Douglow.

In that case disregard my comment on corridors having to be 2 squares wide.

Wobert

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys - and for those of you who have 'I liked it' my Dungeon.

I may well publish an updated version of the Dungeon, depending on future feedback. I did keep it dark in the small rooms on purpose (hence the title) as well as in the wings, the main room is much better lit though. If this is an issue I'll add a little more light.

TrickyD

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 pm

:) The darkness isn't an issue, it doesn't affect the gameplay nor the balance or anything; it is just easy to miss details when it is so dark.
I mean if you as the designer don't care whether the wall consists of a cage, barrels or a stonewall it doesn't matter, a wall is a wall.
Next

Return to Your Dungeons