[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - The turn timer - Too short or just right?

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:46 am

The turn timer - Too short or just right?

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Upeer

The turn timer - Too short or just right?

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 6:39 am

I'm typically a fairly brisk player. I take a moment to size up the situation and then make my moves as quickly as possible. I find that even though I'm not thinking about decisions for more than a couple seconds I'm still running out of time fairly often. Admittedly this is only an issue with more experienced teams with more members. It understandably takes more time to take the turn of 16 players than it does 11.

I understand the need for a turn timer but I feel that the current one is a bit too short. Is anyone else finding that even playing at a quick pace they're still running out of time? I've had entire games go much different than the otherwise would have because I was playing fast and still ran out of time. The timer is there so that one player doesn't stall and not to determine match outcomes between players that are both playing at a reasonable pace, right?

There are a variety of solutions all of which I feel address the problem. First we could just increase the timer amount, from 2:00 to maybe 2:30 or 3:00. Second gain additional time on the timer when you have a larger team. Maybe 10 seconds per player over 11 on your roster. Thirdly have an "extra time" bank. If you think you're going to run out of time you can click a button and when your regular time expires the extra time starts ticking down. This would provide a limited amount of time when you really need it without lengthening every single turn. What do you guys think?

Bayernkini

Re: The turn timer - Too short or just right?

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 am

I would also prefer more different time limits AND also a "non-time" option, so the players can choose for there own,
with which time limits or without timelimit, they want to play.
I think, adding different time limits SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM ;)

I don´t understand, why this was not done in one of the last updates :?:

And this is for me just the main reason, why i don´t play online, only Hot seats, because i have there
at least 4min.

A-r-c-h-o-n

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 am

Different timers would split up the playerbase like they have done it in BB. Also the game is NOT so tactical like BB IMHO, so I think the 2 min are just fine. Coming from hotseat I understand, that someone might get into trouble, but raising the level for all players would be the wrong choice, since there is also always an opponent waiting for you...

Darkson

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 1:51 pm

No time limit just won't work. Bad enough when you play someone, that when they start losing (or even if you kill one of their players) goes away from keyboard, and you end up waiting the 2/4 mind that are their turn. If there was no limit...
I'd love to play Blood Bowl on the PC, but I want a FULL version, not some bugged, incomplete one.

Home of the ARBBL

Reed

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I would prefer a turn length of 2:30. I've played over 200 games now and I still run out of time a couple of times a match. Some situations need that extra bit of thought.

I like the extra time bank idea. If you could get 30 seconds more maximum five times in a match by pressing a button, that would be perfect. It would only lengthen a full match by five minutes max and it would solve the issue for most players I've played with. They don't run out of time that often, but almost everyone does at some point in the match.

Reed

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Darkson wrote:No time limit just won't work. Bad enough when you play someone, that when they start losing (or even if you kill one of their players) goes away from keyboard, and you end up waiting the 2/4 mind that are their turn. If there was no limit...

I agree completely, but I've never had that happen to me in over 200 games of Dungeonbowl -- and there have been plenty of losses and deaths for the other guy. Are you aware of this having happened in Dungeonbowl enough for it to be a problem? I don't recall seeing lots of complaints of such behaviour. Maybe Dungeonbowl attracts a better, more considerate class of players than Blood Bowl...

douglowe

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I quite like the 2:00 time limit - gives the game a frantic feel which I think fits well with DB ;)

For match making I think it's best if one time limit is stuck too, as the community isn't large enough to have multiple MM queues. For challenge games it'd been nice to see a couple more options though (maybe 40sec, 2min and 4min like BB).

Upeer

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 am

douglowe wrote:I quite like the 2:00 time limit - gives the game a frantic feel which I think fits well with DB ;)

For match making I think it's best if one time limit is stuck too, as the community isn't large enough to have multiple MM queues. For challenge games it'd been nice to see a couple more options though (maybe 40sec, 2min and 4min like BB).

Sure, the fast pace can be fun to some degree, my issue is though that games can be decided on on running out of time vs making a bad or good decision. I think adding an extra 30 seconds to each turn will still keep a quick pace and not overly lengthen matches. It's been my experience that you only go to the limit on a couple key turns during the game and the rest are much quicker. It's those key turns however that the extra time is key. Without it you can run out of time and lose the game because. It's happened to me...one guy didn't get to move that was crucial, I lost because of it.

juck101

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 am

just fine. I think it helps add pressure in the silly turns

Coach Jester

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:12 pm

yeah i think its fine (though i run out from time ta time)
but for private leagues i would like to see a 2:30 and a 3 min option added (and a 1 min for the crazy players)
Next

Return to General Forum