[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Death Roller

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:31 am

Death Roller

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

csbear

Re: Death Roller

PostFri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 am

Morgon wrote:Personally I use it (with a disgust), because I'm a powergamer :)

Same here.. I only use it (reluctantly) because against a team which has a DR I personally feel very over-matched.

Death to the Deathroller! :twisted:

Reed

PostFri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 am

csbear wrote:Death to the Deathroller!

Winter is coming. No, that's not it. Chaos is coming.

Brihaspati

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Right now, it's hard to play a game in which:

a) one of the sides uses the DR and the other does not; and

b) the side that uses the DR wins;

which doesn't lead to a rant on the part of the losing side about how "imba" the DR is. Even when the DR does not come into play much, if at all.

The DR has turned into a "cause célèbre" in the community. Not only is it quite OP by any sensible measure (like a comparison of its cost and skill set with that of the other strong pieces in the game), the *perception* of its OP-ness (exaggerated though it may be) is a major source of unhappiness within our ranks. And that's kind of important because this is a recreational activity.

DEATH TO THE DEATHROLLER!

Brihaspati

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 2:45 pm

I'd favour a straight adaptation of the Secret Weapon rules to DB. In standard BB, a secret weapon only stays for a drive. A drive cannot last longer than 8 turns in BB (barring overtime). Therefore, why not expel all secret weapons after 8 (or 10, or whatever) turns in the dungeon? "The prolonged use of technological contraptions is inimical to the magical energies that course through the dungeons set up by the Colleges of Magic. Therefore, players with the Secret Weapon skill will be teleported out of the dungeon by the wizards watching the match after X turns..." yadda, yadda. You can spend a bribe to try to stay longer in the dungeon. Voilà.

This would encourage aggressive use of the DR, to spearhead an attack, or cause lots of damage before vanishing. Conservative coaches would think twice before purchasing one, instead of turning it into the linchpin of their strategy as is the case now.
Last edited by Brihaspati on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zergos

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Brihaspati wrote:Therefore, why not expel all secret weapons after 8 (or 10, or whatever) turns in the dungeon?

This actually sounds very reasonable to me.

csbear

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Brihaspati wrote:I'd favour a straight adaptation of the Secret Weapon rules to DB. In standard BB, a secret weapon only stays for a drive. A drive cannot last longer than 8 turns in BB (barring overtime). Therefore, why not expel all secret weapons after 8 (or 10, or whatever) turns in the dungeon? "

Good post Brihaspati... I like this idea as well. And to repeat what you've just said, the DR takes away the fun in what is a recreational hobby. It's a big deal to us players.

Many times the DR becomes the focal point of both the player using it and the opponent.

I really hope the devs consider your suggestion!

Coach Jester

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 2:00 am

Brihaspati wrote:I'd favour a straight adaptation of the Secret Weapon rules to DB. In standard BB, a secret weapon only stays for a drive. A drive cannot last longer than 8 turns in BB (barring overtime). Therefore, why not expel all secret weapons after 8 (or 10, or whatever) turns in the dungeon? "

dont get me wrong i hate the DR and feel it needs a penalty but i feel this my be too harsh on all the secret weapons.. mainly the ball and chain goblin.. he has a moment of 3 and it is random... he may never see action in a game

also this will lead team to stall the first 8 or 10 turns till the DR is removed and will make for as boring a tactic as it is now with the camping

i cant believe i will defend the DR here :lol: bone head feels fair but removing the DR not so fair
then again to all the girls that used the excuse the DR is a secret weapon and not a big guy... hell yeah get rid of the cheating thing after turn 8 :lol: :D

csbear

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 am

Coach Jester,

Agree, such a rule change should not affect the secret weapons for Goblins... they are already overmatched. Pretty much the popular choices seem to be: BoneHead, round 8 (or after) sending-off, or increase price. This might not be the easiest thing to implement mainly due to GW's say in the matter I'm thinking.

Zergos

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 am

csbear wrote:This might not be the easiest thing to implement mainly due to GW's say in the matter I'm thinking.

This is why I liked the idea so much. Cyanide seems to be allowed to houserule things not stated clearly in the original ruleset. And contrary to the increased price or the Bone-headed, it wouldn't change anything about the deathroller per se.

Coach Jester

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 7:52 am

Zergos wrote:
csbear wrote:This might not be the easiest thing to implement mainly due to GW's say in the matter I'm thinking.

This is why I liked the idea so much. Cyanide seems to be allowed to houserule things not stated clearly in the original ruleset. And contrary to the increased price or the Bone-headed, it wouldn't change anything about the deathroller per se.

yes i see and agree with your point, understand though as it is a send off turn 8 coz of secret weapons so it will then be the same case for all the goblin secret weapons
meaning the goblin secret weapons (that already have a penalty of their own ,random, kick back, bad throw) will also cop the turn 8 removal :(
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum