[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Chaos Edition vs Dungeon Bowl in 2012

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 pm

Chaos Edition vs Dungeon Bowl in 2012

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

gimladesh

Chaos Edition vs Dungeon Bowl in 2012

PostTue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Forgive me if this sounds strange, but is there a reason these two games are separately packaged? From what has been revealed about Chaos Edition, three teams +2 stars and an extra pitch vs what seems to be a new game mode and many new teams to play on it with. I'm sorry if there’s more to either package that I'm missing but the question I have for you is simply why isn't this Blood Bowl: Dungeon Bowl Edition or if you prefer, why doesn't Dungeon Bowl keep the blood bowl option since it's still using, I assume, the systems you've already made?

I know that Chaos Edition already sounded like it was going to cost less than Legendary Edition, but my question isn't so much why one edition or another is better or worse . It just seems like you're making two versions of a very similar game instead of slapping them together. As is I assume that Dungeon Bowl will be priced similarly to legendary edition and I'm not here to complain about that, what I'm curious about though is why the bloodbowl stuff isn't simply stapled on to it?

I understand if you can't/won't answer this question due to legality/marketing or what have you. But I'm worried one or another won't sell as well apart as they will separately. As is it seems people who want to play dungeon bowl will buy dungeon bowl, people who hate the idea might buy the new blood bowl assuming their community isn’t separated by people playing dungeon bowl and people sticking with the old edition. Prior to this release being known, it seemed to me that most people would eventually cave on chaos edition because leagues would all eventually want to upgrade, but now there’s a competing product and it's one you just made.

Please don't misunderstand me, as I am actually quite interested to try dungeon bowl, since I've never had the opportunity to play it. I've logged enough hours on legendary edition to feel justified buying dungeon bowl from you guys. What I'm not sure of right now is weather or not to buy chaos edition now, since It seems like the weaker purchase.

Other Questions I have:

Will there be any discount towards Dungeon Bowl for existing blood-bowl owners or alternatively will Dungeon Bowl give you a discount on Chaos Edition? Have you considered an option to bundle these products?

Will there be separate communities of blood bowl players and dungeon bowl players?
If no, will I have to log out of my dungeon bowl multilayer account to play my blood bowl matches?

Imploded

Re: Chaos Edition vs Dungeon Bowl in 2012

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 1:18 am

Yeah, its kinda strange to release 2 separate games that have so much in common. On the other hand it seems that now GW does not mind licensing its IP for board game adaptations on PC. I think it is a good sign! I really hope that we'll see other classic GW board games on PC sooner or later.

VoodooMike

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 5:07 am

gimladesh wrote:Forgive me if this sounds strange, but is there a reason these two games are separately packaged?....

...Will there be any discount towards Dungeon Bowl for existing blood-bowl owners or alternatively will Dungeon Bowl give you a discount on Chaos Edition? Have you considered an option to bundle these products?

Will there be separate communities of blood bowl players and dungeon bowl players?

The games have different publishers, which means it is highly unlikely there will be any sort of interaction between the two products on any level. Typically the publisher has very heavy control over... well... everything but the direct creation of the product. In the case of Blood Bowl Legendary Edition (and its predecessors) the publisher was Focus Home Interactive... Dungeonbowl seems to be self-published by Cyanide.

So... you certainly wouldn't expect the two products to be combined (it'd be like getting McDonalds fries in a meal with a Wendy's hamburger) and it's pretty unlikely there will be discounts offered given the fact that Cyanide likely doesn't have all the registration codes for the original Blood Bowl handy to verify against, much less an incentive to discount a product they publish simply because you paid a different publisher for a game they also made.

Time will tell, I guess.

booncabal76

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 am

All I want to know is, will teams be inter changeable between the 2 editions?

I'm not a big DB fan and can't recall if the normal team rules applied.

VoodooMike

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 am

booncabal76 wrote:All I want to know is, will teams be inter changeable between the 2 editions?

It's not different editions, it's different games, and Dungeonbowl doesn't use the same teams as normal Blood Bowl. Additionally, while it's the same company writing the game, it's a different company distributing the game. There isn't going to be crossover.

Jolly Roger

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

As VoodooMike said, Dungeonbowl and Blood Bowl are two differents games. Dungeonbowl is an online game only and it has its own rules. So they will be no real interactions between the two products.

Gallows Bait

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 am

Jolly Roger wrote:As VoodooMike said, Dungeonbowl and Blood Bowl are two differents games. Dungeonbowl is an online game only and it has its own rules. So they will be no real interactions betwteen the two products.

Totally totally misunderstanding the point.

There is one MAJOR interaction.

Your customers.

Blood Bowl players are your customer base for Dungeon Bowl. Dungeon Bowl is and always has been an add on / off-shoot of Blood Bowl.

The playerbase you have for Blood Bowl will be the playerbase for Dungeon Bowl. If the two games are separate, that divides the community.

If the support given for one product is given at the cost of the other (as limited features of Chaos Edition and the lack of resources for patching Legendary Edition indicate) then both games will be in trouble.

Those very customers you want to buy Dungeon Bowl are up in arms over the latest patches and Chaos Edition. This won't help you sell copies of Dungeon Bowl.

Simply put - If we don't trust you to make Blood Bowl work, why would be buy Dungeon Bowl?

Jolly Roger

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 am

Of course the community for both games will be quite the same. And we are not forgetting Blood Bowl, we are still working on it.
But for Blood Bowl, we work with Focus, our publisher. That's why the communication and support can not be the same.

VoodooMike

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:As VoodooMike said, Dungeonbowl and Blood Bowl are two differents games. Dungeonbowl is an online game only and it has its own rules. So they will be no real interactions betwteen the two products.

By online game only do you mean that there is no single player mode in Dungeonbowl, only multiplayer?

Gallows Bait wrote:Blood Bowl players are your customer base for Dungeon Bowl. Dungeon Bowl is and always has been an add on / off-shoot of Blood Bowl.

Rather than simply venting on both forums, howsabout you skip right to what it is you want and propose? It's sort'v pointless to just complain if you have no idea what it is you actually want.

Gallows Bait

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:Of course the community for both games will be quite the same. And we are not forgetting Blood Bowl, we are still working on it.
But for Blood Bowl, we work with Focus, our publisher. That's why the communication and support can not be the same.

Would patching/fixing in one game provide the code for patching/fixing in the other?

I'd quite happily buy Dungeon Bowl if it gave Cyanide more resource to fix issues in a common code shared with Blood Bowl.
Next

Return to General Forum