[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Fouling

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:03 am

Fouling

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Evilstein

Fouling

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 am

Cyanide make the rules that there is no expulsion on Fouling.

You can foul all the time. Combine this with Deat rollet and stalling game and have fun.

What do you think about this ?

MILLANDSON

Re: Fouling

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 12:24 am

The Deathroller is cheap for what it is, but lots of other players, from the other teams that'll be introduced in the future, are better/worse in DB than they are in BB, so it's just a matter of adapting to the new environment, really.

As for the fouls thing, I believe that is a bug, rather than a rules change. If it was a rules change, we wouldn't be able to get bribes before a match.

TrickyD

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 am

:| I believe that it should always be easier to get away with fouling in DB than in BB.
Besides, as long as the fouled players don't get injured too heavily you can always sponge them back into the game.

I guess stalling the game is a tactic which I find a bit unfair since DB now has limited time. So the team that is trying to score is pressured to score a TD before his players (especially the ball-carrier) start to disappear.
While the fouler's only concern is to outnumber his opponent.
Another disadvantage is that for the coach who's trying to score, who disappears and where they were standing is very relevant (it is nearly impossible to score with just your weakest players or with all players in your own ez), while this doesn't matter for the fouler; his only concern is to have more players on the field.

You could easily discourage stalling by creating bigger maps where the chests and warpstones are much farther apart than they are in the usual maps. I assume that spreading out the players over a large map makes it harder to foul. Especially when your MV is better than the 1 who is trying to foul you.
I used to play on maps which covered my whole attic, but now that DB has a time limitation I figger that introducing bigger map makes the game unplayable.
Simply because finding the ball on a very large map where the chests & Warpstones are spread out much farther apart from each other instead of near each other could take a (very long) while.
Which, unfortunately, also makes scoring within the time limit impossible.

:) It seems that I find the time limitation my biggest concern.

Roi Lorcan

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 11:29 am

I agree on that point. I don't like this time limitation rule too but it is necessary to limit the number of turns to avoid some game blockers to win by opponent departure.
I think it will be better to simply limit the number of turns (24 for example) and finish the game by a draw if noone as scored. With this rule, this bashing/fouling tactic will not be sufficient to win ;)
Rejoignez le NAF Tour et disputez les 4 tournois majeurs contre les équipes légendaires ! (cliquez sur la bannière ci-dessous)

spubbbba

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I agree, as it is mostly Europeans playing this game then there is nothing wrong with draws.

We are all well used to that prospect in other games we watch or play so I don’t see the need to force a win if it will encourage boring negative play.

I hope the rules will be open to adjustment as the game has a lot of potential to be as good as normal Bloodbowl.

TrickyD

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 2:13 pm

spubbbba wrote:I agree, as it is mostly Europeans playing this game then there is nothing wrong with draws.

We are all well used to that prospect in other games we watch or play so I don’t see the need to force a win if it will encourage boring negative play.
:| Maybe, but isn't DB about the Colleges settling an argument?
A draw does not settle anything.
So I'm more for an anti-stalling rule.
Like for example the one where I've read about wizards not liking stalling, so turning every player who stalls into a frog.

douglowe

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 3:22 pm

How much of a problem are people finding stalling to be?

I've not encountered any stalling yet. But then I've not played a great deal so far, just a few games here and there (maybe 25-30 since release). A couple of the games have taken long enough that we've started to have players teleported out of the dungeon, but mostly they've been over within ~8-12 turns or so.

Are other coaches experiences a lot different to this? Is it just 'cos I'm a crap in defense? ;)

Rogue

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 4:34 pm

I've come across several coaches who seem to have little regard for the chests or finding the ball, and focus solely on winning a numbers game. Fouling every turn, ignoring the ball in favor of a 5-assist foul with the roller to ensure a player is taken out.

After turn 14 this becomes even more effective as you can no longer sponge and bring players back into the game after turn 15, and it takes 2 turns to sponge & warp.

More open maps discourage this style of play, as the elves can simply dodge away and throw over the top. The more narrow dungeons seem to encourage this as it's easy to block the one or two approaches the the endzone with a couple of players then use the other 7-9 to corner and pummel the opposition.

If the end result of stalling was a draw, there would be less reason to do so. If the rules for fouling were also implemented correctly (as they are in BB:LE), then the risk of ejection would tend to reduce the incidence of fouling.

Finally - the ability for coaches to recover players that have been pushed into traps is incorrectly implemented. Currently players that are pushed into a trap can be returned if they are not injured. The rules indicate that once a player falls into a trap/pit/etc then they can not return to that match. They are treated the same as Lost In Space. Further, when pushed into a lethal trap (lava, spikes, tentacles, etc) they should roll a D6 - 1 is killed, 2-6 is seriously injured.

Implement the "falling into things" rule correctly, and coaches would need to be far more careful in their actions than current behaviour suggests.

Roi Lorcan

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Rogue wrote:Further, when pushed into a lethal trap (lava, spikes, tentacles, etc) they should roll a D6 - 1 is killed, 2-6 is seriously injured.

In the today BBCR (or LRB6) we don't have to do another dice roll, it's just like not doing a roll on the injury table and treat these players falling into lethal traps as casualties and just roll on the Casualty table where there is 1/6 chance to be dead and 5/6 chances to be seriously injured (1-3 => badly hurt, 4 => miss next game, 5 => long term effect injury, 6 => dead, see BBCR page 25).

So, this should not be so hard to implement ;)
Rejoignez le NAF Tour et disputez les 4 tournois majeurs contre les équipes légendaires ! (cliquez sur la bannière ci-dessous)

TrickyD

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Roi Lorcan wrote:In the today BBCR (or LRB6) we don't have to do another dice roll, it's just like not doing a roll on the injury table and treat these players falling into lethal traps as casualties and just roll on the Casualty table where there is 1/6 chance to be dead and 5/6 chances to be seriously injured (1-3 => badly hurt, 4 => miss next game, 5 => long term effect injury, 6 => dead, see BBCR page 25).

:evil: So you're saying that pushing someone into a trap is even more effective than fouling?
That is interesting.

:| But I'm still not convinced of allowing a draw; the whole point of DB is to settle an argument and a draw does nothing to accomplish that.

Then again, having a time limitation means limited space which translates to small maps which only encourages fouling and / or turteling.
On a large map getting the ball is imperetive while on small maps turteling is rewarded or maybe even encouraged. If one would turtle on a large map that would give the balpossesor the chance for some free SP by passing the ball around as long as his opponent stays in his own ez. So coaches were encouraged to at least shadow each other which turns the map into a race where players fought over the ball instead of the cagefight it now often is where having the ball has even become irrelevant.
Next

Return to General Forum