[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Dungeon Bowl Feedback

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:10 am

Dungeon Bowl Feedback

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Cyris

Dungeon Bowl Feedback

PostWed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Introduction:
I'm a relative newcomer to Bloodbowl, as I've only ever played the PC game. As such, I have no experience with original Dungeonbowl. I'm an avid gamer and one who is interested in understanding the full rules of a game. Here is my feedback on DB after my first 10 matches.

Overview:
DB is to BB what Dominion is to Summoners Rift (from LOL.) It's a short, fast, crazy game that players of BB can jump right into and have a blast. The much shorter matches coupled with the absolute random chaos of portals, chests, traps and varied map layouts make for a lot of fun. For the time being the developers are releasing patches at a brisk pace, which is great. Much like with original BB, a number of relatively small things could be changed to make this game a lot more fun, intuitive and ultimately profitable. Here are some of them...

UI:
The position of the "Yes" and "No" for actions like following after blocks and using re-rolls have been moved relative to where they are in BB. This caused me to miss-click a number of times. It's frustrating to have a UI this important changed.
On that same note, all of the team managing UI was altered (a friend miss-clicks a stat increase because of it). The new UI is not any better then the previous one, why was time spent changing it?
The grid marks on the pitch (after pressing "G") would be more useful if they were visible through walls.
No indication of how much gold was won post-match. Also no re-roll for winner, but that might be by design.

Game Rules:
Fouling is unlimited, Secret Weapon is no linger a penalty and yet Bribes are for sale for Inducements. Beyond any balance considerations, this is clearly wrong.
Unlimited fouling is, in my limited experience mixed with relatively simple theory-crafting, a bad rule. I do not see it mentioned anywhere in the DB competition rules. Why was it added?
The Deathroller needs to have Secret Weapon replaced with a Big Guy skill (Bone-head/wild-animal/really-stupid). Any clear minded analysis of this unit shows that; if it was considered balanced in BB by virtue of Secret Weapon being arguable more of a hindrance then any of the other Big Guy skills, then negating Secret Weapon without any other nerfs will not lead to a balanced unit.
Exactly what "Optional Rules" from the DB rule set are in game is left to a new players imagination. Please make a rule pdf that explains the rules you have implemented.
Minor point, but it seems that the team that sets up first should also get the first turn. Unlike in BB, there is no 2nd half to switch the order around.

Conclusion:
I love DB. As of right now, I like playing it more then BB. I'm sure after a while I'll get back into BB, but for now DB is it for me. If improvements continue, I will buy the DLC. If they do not, I will leave DB by the wayside. I am not alone in this.

Waldorf

Re: Dungeon Bowl Feedback

PostWed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Cyris wrote:Game Rules:
Unlimited fouling is, in my limited experience mixed with relatively simple theory-crafting, a bad rule. I do not see it mentioned anywhere in the DB competition rules. Why was it added?

Swearing to leap on every whinge about fouling here I am!

Unlimited blitzing appears to be OK, why can't we foul every turn too? There's no ref, who's going to stop us?

It's not unbalanced - everyone can do it!

Evilstein

PostWed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 pm

There is Reefs, The Magicians ;)

But we already discuss some of your problem Cyris here for Fouling :

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=512

And here for the Death Roller :

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=512

Cyris

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 am

Waldorf, In my experience so far, the fouling has made the game a lot less varied. With the super strong DR and how tight so many of the maps are, playing attrition feels too potent. AGI can get that lucky set of rolls and just win, but this is BB, you can with all Halflings ;)
I think the removal of the Fouling rule was a balance mistake and serves to thin the variety of top tier teams. This could very well lead to less DLC purchases... who wants AV7 teams when you get fouled 7 times a game? Not me, and I like AV7 teams in BB.

Thanks for the links Evilstein. Haven't read around yet, wanted to get my first reactions down :)

Rogue

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 6:46 am

Cyris wrote:I think the removal of the Fouling rule was a balance mistake and serves to thin the variety of top tier teams.

As per http://www.dungeonbowl-game.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=512#p2296, fouling rules were disabled due to a misunderstanding of the underlying rules, and will be enabled again in a patch (hopefully soon!).

Jolly Roger

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks for your great feedback Cyris! We are still reading all your posts in order to set up the next improvements for Dungeonbowl. :)

Return to General Forum