[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - What a waste

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 pm

What a waste

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

gronk

What a waste

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm

I bought blood bowl ages ago and was immensely surprised by how much fun that game was. I still occasionally play BB.
BB is still in my top 10 favorites list on steam.
Yet never having been part of the table-top movement i found it hard to play online.
Now my available time does not allow me to play online at all.

So there i see DB on steam. Read the description "successor of blood bowl", etc..
My first thought is "its probably garbage". Still a quick google search reveals that in fact this is some form of blood bowl, only "faster", more diversity, etc.
So i read the entire game description on steam: "Whats the worst that can happen if i buy this?"

15min later i finished downloading the game (after buying it on steam), install it.
First thing after start: 3d mode (tridef 3d) looks broken, but maybe it can be fixed.
Still in the menu i see online options ... and nothing else.
Can't play online so "quit", uninstall, move the game to garbage folder.

This was literally the worst money to fun ratio of any single game i have ever bought, including the piles of rubbish indi games i never played twice.

Still i consider this some kind of contribution to the legacy of BB and maybe some day there will be another game from Cyanide i actually enjoy.

Jolly Roger

Re: What a waste

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 am

Hi gronk,
Really sorry to heard that you did'nt enjoy the game. That said, the Steam page indicates that it's a multiplayer game.
If you don't have a lot of time to play, you can choose a small map, the matches in the smaller dungeons can be won in 10 or 15 minutes. ;)

Reed

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 am

Jolly, if you wanted to avoid incidents like this in the future it would probably be a good idea to explicitly and prominently state in the Steam game description text that the game is multiplayer only.

I just looked at the Steam store Dungeonbowl page and the only way to tell this (that I found) is from the fact that there is no green "Single player" text above "Multiplayer" on the lower right hand side. How many buyers are THAT familiar with the Steam UI that they can tell at a glance that when there is no "Single Player" text the game is multiplayer only? After all, it is rather difficult to figure something out solely from the fact that something else is missing.

I know I wouldn't have noticed that and I have bought dozens of Steam games. I don't think the current text makes it clear at all that Dungeonbowl is multiplayer only. It just says "online experience". Well, Diablo III is an online experience, and it does have single player.

Drake

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 1:06 pm

He I got a email from cyanide , no where did it state in the purchase that it was a multiplayer only !
Neither on the official website or the gamesite I purchase this product from .

So serious note will there be a single player content and AI etc coming ?
Or I can delete this game too , and put cyanide products on ignore .
Honestly I have my belly full of online people , while all nice and well , I want to enjoy the game against a AI .
Where atleast I know AI doesn´t feel bad when they lose .. unlike modern day generation who moans about can´t stand losing .

So the money wasted isn´t a problem ¨GASP¨ . yeah some of us aren´t so poor or miserable in Real Life and have no interest in dealling with over dramatic youth these days .
just want to know if there is a single player content coming or not ?
Like Bloodbowl which I happily purchase every year a new version !

Silmael

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Ok, for Steam I can understand that someone that does not know the software well could mistake if for a single player game with a multiplayer option. Thus we are going to check out what we can do about it. Of course it may take a little longer than it would on our website...

But no, there is no solo player scheduled or intended. We thought Dungeonbowl as a multiplayer only experience as it is written on our official store on the left. We are sorry if you did not noticed it when you bought it.

Drake

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 3:49 pm

No worries can delete the game then :) , will wait for the next bloodbowl .

Since not interested in online multiplayer games at this moment .
Don't worry it is easy for me to get my money back , but Am not worried about a 15€ , just like this thread said a waste.

Warfish

PostSun Jul 08, 2012 4:36 am

I agree that since the game is Multi-player they should have made it very obvious. I too bought it thinking I would be able to play single player. At the OP, did you even try it? It's sure not BB but it's fun and different. The steamroller rocks but I got held up by a lvl 1 human linemen keeping me in his tackle zone. I think lvl 1 human players are therefor over powered and should have no tackle zones to make it fair. :P
You don't greet death, you punch it repeatly in the throat as it drags you away. No Fear

Bucc

PostTue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Ehm, you do know that the Deathroller has break tackle right? Or that you can blitz, do a block, and then move away.

Anyway, on topic - yeah, it should be made very obvious, also on steam, that it is multiplay only. A good decision by you Cyanide, btw, in my opinion. Good to spend the resources on refining the multiplay, instead of spending lots of money on a singleplay, that will never be any good.

Maybe spend some money on advertising the game more? We need a larger playerbase. If you are allowed to answer, can you say if the game has sold as expected thus far?

Return to General Forum