[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Time limit

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:57 am

Time limit

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Bayernkini

Time limit

PostSat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 am

I wished a option, to setup the timelimit, because for some players like me, the 2 minutes are simple to short :(
At least for games at home via LAN, i wished the option, to play without any time limit.

Reed

Re: Time limit

PostSat Jul 07, 2012 9:37 am

The Hot Seat mode has a 4-minute time limit. Don't know about LAN games, havent tried it. But you could play on the same computer in Hot Seat mode, if you're in the same building anyway.

Bayernkini

PostSat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

Right, but why not a simple option, to let choose the players own, if they want any time limit or want to play
without time limit :shock:

Reed

PostSat Jul 07, 2012 10:32 am

Sure, I'm with you there.

On the other hand, I've thought about this and there a couple of reasons to have everyone play 2-minute turns.

1) Player base fragmentation. This is not yet a hugely popular game. It makes it harder to get a match if the players looking for a game use different time limit settings. When there is only one option, everyone gets a game faster. Sure, you could agree in chat what limit to use, but this is extra hassle and not everyone likes doing it. Having a single limit just makes it a smoother experience out of the box.

2) The matches become a lot longer wth e.g. a 4-minute turn. In Blood Bowl a match (16 turns) usually takes around 1 h 45 min using 4-minute turns. I just had a match go for almost 30 turns. Imagine that with 4-minute turns.

I think Dungeonbowl is meant to be a more relaxed, fun and fast version of Blood Bowl. Having the games drag on longer would detract from this quite a lot.

Having said that ,I run out of time all the time. 2 min 30 seconds would be great for me :-) Your mileage may vary.

Reed

PostSat Jul 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Reed wrote:Don't know about LAN games

I tried the LAN game and it uses 2-minute turns.

Warfish

PostSun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 am

I agree that for now one time limit is the way to go, for match making purposes. If the game does catch on maybe they patch it in at that point? I'm no programmer so I'm not sure if this is possible.
You don't greet death, you punch it repeatly in the throat as it drags you away. No Fear

Return to General Forum