[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Sudden Death forfeit

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:12 am

Sudden Death forfeit

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

katadder

Sudden Death forfeit

PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:53 pm

hey all, played a game tonight that went to sudden death (think around round 28 or something) where each player loses a player a round.
this is a little bit harsh on the smaller team to start with but at least stops the forever game, my only concern is that when I lost I counted as forfeiting, ie my opponent got both MVPs and all the cash. surely this shouldnt be the way of it I was actually closest to the endzone when lost my last player. a normal loss, yes, a forfeit no.

Bucc

Re: Sudden Death forfeit

PostMon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 pm

I agree with you.

It makes the boring grind, where you have no interest in the ball (or opening chests), but simply play on having more players than your opponent by the end of turn 20somethingodd more attractive and rewarding. I can't be assed to look in the DB rules to see if they are clear on the matter, but the rules are obviously a strong point.

Darkson

PostTue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 am

This is something Cyanide added, it's not in the "real" DB rules. It's been brought up before to.
I'd love to play Blood Bowl on the PC, but I want a FULL version, not some bugged, incomplete one.

Home of the ARBBL

Coach Jester

PostFri Jul 13, 2012 10:34 pm

yep needs to be fixed
1-0 loss is fine but not to lose MVP as well

Reed

PostFri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Cyanide, please change your forfeiting rule. Awarding both MVPs and all winnings to the coach who just had more players on the pitch at the end serves no good purpose and it has many undesirable consequences.

For example, it leads to more stalling, distorts viable team builds and removes many options from team selection and available tactics if you want to succeed. It results in boring play. It will cost you customers in the long run.

Paddywhack

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 4:47 pm

I will second (third, fourth?) this. While a loss is fine, it shouldn't be treated as an abandoned game. It really does lead to boring games where all you do is sit and wait. Usually the person with fewer models is not the one stalling (they are going to lose after all), so why punish them for boring play from the opponent? It also allows a player that is well ahead (beaten down most of the opposition) to simply wait it out instead of scoring so he gets both MVPs. Thats a beardy tactic and should not be encouraged.

Please fix this. Hopefully we have a patch coming this week along with the new content? :)

katadder

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 4:50 pm

actually after the game I have just had I changed my mind.

guy had 3 treemen, 2 rooted protecting his endzone and let the clock run down the full 2 mins every turn. yes I knocked down the treemen eventually and could have scored on round 24 but decided that as for the last 8 rounds I had to wait 2 mins for him to do nothing I would take his forfeit.

Zergos

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 9:34 pm

katadder wrote:actually after the game I have just had I changed my mind.

guy had 3 treemen, 2 rooted protecting his endzone and let the clock run down the full 2 mins every turn. yes I knocked down the treemen eventually and could have scored on round 24 but decided that as for the last 8 rounds I had to wait 2 mins for him to do nothing I would take his forfeit.

So you won before the sudden death even started. But now imagine how you'd feel if you knocked those trees down, got your ballcarrier TO the endzone but not quite INTO it in turn 25. And then he disappears. Because that's what happened to me. And it ain't funny. At all. You can allready smell the victory and then it get's taken away by a poor design decision.

katadder

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 pm

not really, was round 24 before even got the ball near his endzone which were double tacklezoned by the treemen. and if my ball carrier had gone then it wouldnt have mattered as I had plenty of other players.

have had 2 ball carriers go in consecutive rounds though as well. still won due to more players on the pitch but I think the ball carrier should not be picked unless hes the last player.

and my example was one of someone spending 8 turns doing nothing but trying to make you quit because he waited the full 2 mins every turn and knew he couldnt win otherwise. so yes sudden death does have a use as it stops you playing a 60 round game with 3 treemen double tacklezoning everything when you dont have a deathroller to deal with it (the team I used had 1 ogre v 3 treemen and a DR)

Zergos

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 pm

But it still shouldn't give you a surrender lose when losing the sudden death. But yes, tp-ing the ball carrier last would be a nice addition. Maybe even prioritising players who moved the fewest yards. But since dungeonbowl is supposed to be chaotic, i doubt they will change that.
Next

Return to General Forum