[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - a beginners noobish thoughts.

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:17 pm

a beginners noobish thoughts.

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Red Skull

a beginners noobish thoughts.

PostWed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 am

Hi all. so i resently bought this game. and thinks is fun.

and i like it. but just a few things.

But first the most anoing thing. by far. just like BB

the chat sucks !!!!!!!
I START WRITING AND THEN A COMES A BLOCK. AND THEN I HAVE TO START OVER AND OVER AND OVER !!!!!!!!
why isent it fixed yet ? maybe the ones making the game dosent play it ?? or atleast dosent chat.

i dident know or could figure out how to choose a team for matchmaking. i marked the team. by highlighting it.
but that dident work. adn thougt the red X for to delete the team. but its the way to do it in chalinge....

i belive that the yes and no option is oposite from BB. ?? that have made me make alot of mistakes. and is just stupid..

i have a player wiht groin strain. marked in red. but what does it do 3 matches after he got it ?? its still there.
i dont understand

i want get to mush into the missing single player to totorial option. since i belive meny others have mentioned it.

but there should atleast be a somewhare to find out how stuff works in the game....

i blocked a guy and got good dice but then i fell in ?

after some turns it seems random players tele away. ??

like it took me 4 games before i found out i could call in reserves.
and magic sponge i still havent figured out... ???????

in all like in BB. you must have frensh engeneers designing the UI of the game becouse its strange..
and not user friendly. or intuitive. feels more like i have to write progam code to teleport in reserves,

hell the first game i dident even know how to score a goal. we bouth (lucklely) thought it was our own spawn.

or how to change starting players.

i have now played like 10-15 games and been asking alot in chat. since the only way to learn about the game is by others hard learned lessons, but they sometimes dont wanna give it up. and if in a game want risk loosing by telling me how to
get reinforcemnts and so on....

and im sure the reason for the low amount of player types and and races is so that we have to buy a DLC for it.
i understand but i think you have started with way to few. especialy considering the state of the game.
ok its not hte most expensive. but you dont get alot either. and have a wery steep learning curve.

or maybe its just stupid me.. the noob.
just some thoughts off the top of my head.

PS. love the game.

Reed

Re: a beginners noobish thoughts.

PostWed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 am

Welcome to Dungeonbowl, hope to see you on the pitch!

Some of your questions (e.g. Magic Sponge) are answered in the game manual. It is available e.g. here:
http://www.dungeonbowl-game.com/wp-cont ... n-Bowl.pdf. It's a pretty quick read as pictures fill a large part of it.

If you bought the game directly from Cyanide the manual is also in the game file folder and linked in the Windows Start menu under Dungeonbowl. If you bought the game from Steam the manual was missing at least a few days ago (see here).

It is also very helpful to read the official rules of the game. They are included with both versions of the game. The game follows the basic Blood Bowl Competition Rules (which you already know) together with the special Dungeonbowl rules (just four pages to read).

Morgon

PostWed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 am

Red Skull wrote:in all like in BB. you must have frensh engeneers designing the UI of the game becouse its strange..
and not user friendly. or intuitive.

It's sad to say, but I agree (without insulting anyone). Lobby/team management UI is as bad as internet leagues in Blood Bowl 1st ed. Why you didn't copied much better UI from BBLE? Why to create another unfriendly UI with even handling different from your previous games that players finally get used to? I don't understand that.

Red Skull

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:28 am

well i sertainly thank you for the links. maybe now i can read some and understand it better.
why isent there just a link in the game for the rules ? would be realy nice.

and i have the steam version.

i did google the rules and got some for the board game. witch helped me to know why i kept falling in the water even thoght i got good dice. dident even know what it was called. couldent it say that when it happend ? like block. stand firm and so on. ?

another thing. after a match. finding the team and buying stuff and players for it.
is a bit of a maze. couldent there be a link right after the match "go to team mangement" could it hurt ?
and meybe im blind. but in the screen right after a match. it dosent say how mush gold you won. ?

Reed

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 am

Red Skull wrote:helped me to know why i kept falling in the water even thoght i got good dice. dident even know what it was called. couldent it say that when it happend ? like block. stand firm and so on. ?

It is listed in the dice roll log. It's called "precarious position". I'm sure you'll notice it now that you know what to look for. You are also offered to reroll the precarious position roll (if you have rerolls left).
it dosent say how mush gold you won. ?

Yeah, this is one of the things missing in the UI. It's strange as it was shown in Blood Bowl.

You make some good suggestions! If Cyanide made those changes, the game would definitely be more user-friendly.

Red Skull

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:56 am

after reading the rules of the links. the closest to Precarious Position. is.

"Traps within the Dungeon
Water, lava, holes and other traps are scattered throughout the dungeons. These can be harmful to your players who can fall or be pushed into them.
A player should not remain on a square adjacent to one of these traps as he is in a Precarious Position. This means that he is likely to fall into the trap when he performs the following actions:
• Makes or suffers a Block
• Throws, catches, intercepts or picks up the ball
A player can jump over a trap during his move at the cost of a square of movement. Of course, if the jump fails, your player will fall into the trap!"

maybe its me. that dosent realy understand. well i sertainly dont think its clear. perhaps since i dident think of water as a trap. but knowing how it workes. makes you understand this writing. but it dosent realy work the other way. as it should. like the UI. its all backwards.

why not just write in.
that the edge counts as a trap. and if you do eny actions next to it. you risk falling into the water.

ohh and also i couldent find enything about putting in reserves... why not put in a botten over the blitz and other action buttens ? cliking on hte name isent at all logical. again oyu have to know it before you can do it.
its all hidden....

and couldent find enything about the magic sponge either ?
other that that good links for stuff i know.

the only part i might learn something from is the keymapping.
what buttens do what..

explanation..
btw that what i meen be its writen by engeneers. like when you read the manual for some mp3 player or somehting.
and its writen so no ones understand and its not logical. but for the engeneer that has made de UI. or so on. it makes sence. but only to him, (and french couse they just make weird stuff. chaos leage. BB copy. (also cyanide) but i like som of the french movies. but they are also weird but in a good and strange way)

Reed

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 am

Red Skull wrote:ohh and also i couldent find enything about putting in reserves...

It is in the manual, page 33, under the heading "Number of players in the Dungeon":

"To move a player from the reserve to the dungeon, first click on the name of your team at the top of
the screen and then click on Reserve. Select the player you wish to teleport and click on the Warp to Dungeon
button."

It doesn't exactly leap out at you, my eye first skipped over it when I was looking for it just now. I agree the manual style could be more direct and clear. It's good that the information is there to be found, though.

Red Skull

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 10:48 am

Reed wrote:
Red Skull wrote:ohh and also i couldent find enything about putting in reserves...

It is in the manual, page 33, under the heading "Number of players in the Dungeon":

"To move a player from the reserve to the dungeon, first click on the name of your team at the top of
the screen and then click on Reserve. Select the player you wish to teleport and click on the Warp to Dungeon
button."

It doesn't exactly leap out at you, my eye first skipped over it when I was looking for it just now. I agree the manual style could be more direct and clear. It's good that the information is there to be found, though.

ok i stand corrected.

but again i looked for it and couldent find it. (perhaps i dident look hard enof)
but still for a new player they dont read eny rules. especialy when its so hard to find.

and even when found makes litle sence. and realy hard to remember. and still not gameplay friendly

Reed

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 am

Whatever the shortcomings of the written materials, luckily the game lobby is filled with nice players who are more than happy to answer any and all questions you might have, also during the match. It's a pretty friendly community, I feel.

Red Skull

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 am

Reed wrote:Whatever the shortcomings of the written materials, luckily the game lobby is filled with nice players who are more than happy to answer any and all questions you might have, also during the match. It's a pretty friendly community, I feel.

indeed youre right. and that is some of the best part of the game.
and most of what i now know is beocuse of the chat. and other players. and the hard way in game. and then trying to find out how did he do that ??? for as said they sometimes dont wanne tell how they do stuff. they mihgt loose the game.... besides in game chat is awfull but still do it alot i like to talk to other couches. and keeping it friendly.

and i also tell what i know to those that ask.

so where the game fails we the gamer comunity must do our best tell new coaches how it works.
so they dont give up and leave the game. we need more players

but i would also like to know more.
like the magic sponge.. sometimes it works. sometimes not. and only for a random player. ?
and only once per turn ? is that about right ? thats what i know. or dont.
Next

Return to General Forum