[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Think I'm done.

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:16 pm

Think I'm done.

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Coach Jester

Re: Think I'm done.

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:07 am

Warfish wrote:I agree with the need for single player. I am and I'm sure a few others would be willing to pay for AI as DLC. That way those who want it can pay for it and those who don't want it don't have to get it. Does this seem fair?

not fair if it costs them more time and money than they can make back on it
not all of us want an AI that would be as bad as the AI in BB
the AI wont use leap to jump over a wall of dwarf blockers.. or throw the ball.. it is too much work and they know it

when i hear players wanting an AI from cyanide (their BB ai sucks) i think it is coz that player cant win against online players and wants the easy win to stroke their ego as kids today dont know how to learn from a loss

the AI in BB is so lame an easy i can win with 6 players (other 5 i set up on my goal line and do nothing) it is no challenge and will not improve your skills.. it will only teach you bad habits that when you try to use on a human player will make you wonder "why didn't that work? it works vs the AI"

an AI for DB would be to hard as it wont think to chain push you into pits, wont throw ball to bounce off walls for a deep pass, hell it wont throw the ball at all, it wont use ports to get behind your lines, wont leap over players or pits, wont set up at choak points... so what can you lean from that? nothing

yes i would love an AI but only one that works and works well... and that is too much to ask for

Coach Jester

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:13 am

katadder wrote:well currently there are no more tactics than an AI can manage i think.
people block up behind their death roller, kill what they can then go for TD. more maps, more teams may help but as we are a niche of a niche needs an AI to keep people interested when they cant get games.

not in the games i have played
to all the wallers out there fear my leap.... fear my port for the win and fear my bounce off walls dive catch TD :D

katadder make more open maps then or at least vote on the ones others have made (like mine :lol: ) to help them get into the official maps ;)
then you will see more open play and more crazy action

katadder

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 7:59 am

if the player knows whats he doing he can defend against leap. leave you a space to leap into but you cant get past the 2nd line.
dwarves should not have been allowed main race status as its a no brainer. bashy with limited space to run is perfect set up for dwarves

Brihaspati

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 am

katadder wrote:yep. swapping dwarves in as a main race was a mistake.

Thing is, Dorfs haven't been swapped in as a main race. Dorfs *are* the main race of both the Light and Bright Colleges according to Jervis's rules. If anything, this version of the game demotes them somewhat.

Somewhat, but not much. Cyanide's Bright College is scarcely less bashy than Light. You can take the five Human players with access to Str. skills, six Dorfs, and then you can choose your two Norse players from the five positionals with Str. access. Allows one to spam guard to one's heart's content. It would be exactly the same if Grey had been left as written in the GW rules.

From a purely "commercial" point of view, I can see where Cyanide are coming from with their Grey roster. In standard BB, Chaos is hugely popular.

Incidentally, Jervis's rules include the layout of "Catacombs", which is easily one of the suckiest dungeons. They are not a piece of infallible holy writ :lol:

Darkson

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 9:04 am

Coach Jester wrote:when i hear players wanting an AI from cyanide (their BB ai sucks) i think it is coz that player cant win against online players and wants the easy win to stroke their ego as kids today dont know how to learn from a loss

What total and utter BS.
I use the AI (in BB) as I can't always guarantee I'll have enough time to play an online game, due to a) real life, b) time wasted trying to actually get matched and c) time lost due to a game "disappearing" due to synch errors.
Same reason for wanting an AI in DB.
I'd love to play Blood Bowl on the PC, but I want a FULL version, not some bugged, incomplete one.

Home of the ARBBL

katadder

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 am

Brihaspati wrote:
katadder wrote:yep. swapping dwarves in as a main race was a mistake.

Thing is, Dorfs haven't been swapped in as a main race. Dorfs *are* the main race of both the Light and Bright Colleges according to Jervis's rules. If anything, this version of the game demotes them somewhat.

Somewhat, but not much. Cyanide's Bright College is scarcely less bashy than Light. You can take the five Human players with access to Str. skills, six Dorfs, and then you can choose your two Norse players from the five positionals with Str. access. Allows one to spam guard to one's heart's content. It would be exactly the same if Grey had been left as written in the GW rules.

From a purely "commercial" point of view, I can see where Cyanide are coming from with their Grey roster. In standard BB, Chaos is hugely popular.

Incidentally, Jervis's rules include the layout of "Catacombs", which is easily one of the suckiest dungeons. They are not a piece of infallible holy writ :lol:

yes you can take 5 human players with access to str skills, however teams take longer to level in DB than BB due to only 1 TD. having a team full of dwarves overcomes this as for 70k (same price as a no skill line elf) you get 3 skills built in, 2 of them the most used in the game, block and tackle, plus access to strength and higher AV than the humans.
if you take human blitzers they will not usually take guard as their 1st skill, if they do they dont have tackle so its easier to dodge away from whihc makes playing elves and other agile teams a bit easier although still difficult due to the bash nature of DB

Brihaspati

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 11:14 am

OK, the notion that Dorf blockers are too cheap for what they bring to the table is very widespread, in standard BB too. In addition, a case may be made that bad dungeon design (a topic that's been discussed at length) allows Dorfs to ignore their main drawback, their lack of speed.

But the thing is, I was commenting on the statement "swapping dwarves in as a main race was a mistake." Dwarves were already swapped in as a main race by Jervis Johnson himself, twice. Cyanide's decision to make Humans the main race of the Bright roster instead of Dorfs hasn't exacerbated the "trouble with Dwarves".

(Star Trek reference, that)

As for taking tackle as first skill on a Human blitzer...well, far be it from me to act as an authority in matters of strategy, but that's not what I'd do. Especially when I can buy up to six dirt-cheap Dorf blockers for my Bright team :lol: Guard as first skill on a Human blitzer, Stand Firm second. If anything, the usefulness of Stand Firm in DB mitigates bashing somewhat, because Mighty Blow becomes less prevalent.

Coach Jester

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Darkson wrote:
Coach Jester wrote:when i hear players wanting an AI from cyanide (their BB ai sucks) i think it is coz that player cant win against online players and wants the easy win to stroke their ego as kids today dont know how to learn from a loss

What total and utter BS.
I use the AI (in BB) as I can't always guarantee I'll have enough time to play an online game, due to a) real life, b) time wasted trying to actually get matched and c) time lost due to a game "disappearing" due to synch errors.
Same reason for wanting an AI in DB.

The AI in BB is like playing a 5 yo and for me playing the AI is time wasted
as for A if you dont have the time to play on line then you dont have the time to play the AI (game takes same time)so that is utter BS
play in a private league with players that fit your time takes care of B
ok yes C i give you but how often that happen... for me its 1 in 70 games

DB games usually run faster than BB ones (if you bother to get the game rather than bitch bout it) you would know that with 2 min turns and more turnovers
and you would want the same 5yo AI that is in BB? wont know how to port or any other DB tactics... it cant even do BB tactics half the time

Darkson

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Coach Jester wrote:as for A if you dont have the time to play on line then you dont have the time to play the AI (game takes same time)so that is utter BS

Guess you never heard of the pause and save buttons. :roll:
play in a private league with players that fit your time takes care of B

Private leagues have exactly the same issue (I had problems getting games in both FOl and OCC, because the game wouldn't match me with other coaches regardless of what teams we had spinning).
ok yes C i give you but how often that happen... for me its 1 in 70 games

2 in 7 when I gave up online play completely (and no, there's nothing wrong with my connection, just shite software).
DB games usually run faster than BB ones (if you bother to get the game rather than bitch bout it) you would know that with 2 min turns and more turnovers

I know of the 2 min turns, but the game is also longer (20+ turns), during to the stalling going on, and even if that solves A, it still doesn't solve B or C - in fact B seems to be even worse, due to the lack of players playing the game.
Add in the fact that I normally play 2-min turns at BB, and that argument is a massive fail.
and you would want the same 5yo AI that is in BB? wont know how to port or any other DB tactics... it cant even do BB tactics half the time

Yes, because a bad AI is better than no AI.
I'd love to play Blood Bowl on the PC, but I want a FULL version, not some bugged, incomplete one.

Home of the ARBBL

katadder

PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 pm

agreed, bad AI is better than none just for a bit of fun.

also why should the AI be bad, cyanide is supposed to be a decent sized company, smaller companies manage AI that actually has to work in real time and its much better than anything cyanide has put out. this is turn based, you get chess as standard on PCs with better AI than cyanide can put out. come on cyanide, put some work in and actually give us an AI that actually works for DB and BB
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum