[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Think I'm done.

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:51 am

Think I'm done.

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Paddywhack

Think I'm done.

PostSat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 am

I may give it one more go when the new teams come out this week, but between the boring sameness, the boring dungeons, the bugs and the poor player base - I think I'm done. Can't say it was a total waste of money as I did get some games in, but without a single player I'm just not as interested. Especially with the preponderance of bashy teams and choke points means it comes down to who gets the most injuries - the ball is secondary at best (and I have the same problem with BB and turtling, but least there you can play for a draw). Maybe it will get better with more teams and for heaven's sake more maps, but I'm not sure even that will save it. I logged on and there were a total of 5 players online.... Not a great sign. I'll wait to see what the gobbos offer, until then I will go back to the single player BB thanks. I have no interest in hardcore competitive play (at lease give us leagues!).

katadder

Re: Think I'm done.

PostSat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

I hear you. about 6 guys on now. what were cyanide thinking sending this out without AI?
its a niche game of a niche game, was never going to be a big enough crowd for purely multiplayer. any AI no matter how bad would at least allow you to set up fun leagues at home. and use the hard AI as the standard from BB with mods to help it use teleporters/chests etc would probably be not too much work.
after all for the most part the longest work was done (models and stuff for teams)

Thraxwhirl

PostSat Jul 21, 2012 1:19 pm

July 5th 2012 - I received an email from Cyanide telling me this game had been released.

Within 30 seconds I was watching a Youtube movie of some fella doing a "Let's Play"-stylee presentation.

Within another 30 seconds I'd stopped watching and made up my mind that I would not be purchasing a copy.

Why? Because, during the first 30 seconds the uploader had begun his movie with the words "I was immediately disappointed to find there's no single-player mode".

That's when I stopped watching.

*shrug*

I will OF COURSE buy a copy if/when Cyanide put an AI into it....

...but not before.

Just my two cents(or rather my £9.99), and I'll only hand it over when I can play this game OFFLINE.

katadder

PostSat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm

its also kind of pointless having multiplayer when they dont talk to you and skill isnt involved, just the multiple 1 followed by 1 followed by 1 on the dice, and maybe a double red skull.

csbear

PostSat Jul 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Playing the AI (in BB and many other strategy games) is extremely boring to me: Compared to playing against humans, the AI is predictable, has little variation in personality and play/strategy, and is not aware (nor does it care) of numerous variables that affect game play. Above all, the AI doesn't have any emotional investment in its team.

I understand that people don't want to play against disconnecting players who complain about their dice rolls constantly. But, the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" can only be witnessed together if there are competing emotional investments...and that never happens when playing the AI.

Sorry, not trying to cause a flame-war, it's just a rant on my own personal feelings of single player. ;)

However, due to the low number of players and being an exclusively online game, I do understand the reasons to have single player when you are unable to get a game.

katadder

PostSat Jul 21, 2012 5:17 pm

well currently there are no more tactics than an AI can manage i think.
people block up behind their death roller, kill what they can then go for TD. more maps, more teams may help but as we are a niche of a niche needs an AI to keep people interested when they cant get games.

Warfish

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 am

I agree with the need for single player. I am and I'm sure a few others would be willing to pay for AI as DLC. That way those who want it can pay for it and those who don't want it don't have to get it. Does this seem fair?
You don't greet death, you punch it repeatly in the throat as it drags you away. No Fear

katadder

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

think i might be joining the leaving after having my elf team face a dwarf team that was all guard, plus a yeti with guard, MB.
in BB this wouldnt be a problem as speed is worth being the same as a dwarf lineman. in DB speed 4 makes no difference as they just grind your team into the ground

Gaixo

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Yeah, I think the DLC scheme is going to backfire on them because so many players will leave before they get all of the teams out.

For whatever reason (I think the developers' own sense of what is cool or likely to be popular), they are also stressing bash teams (even Jade may qualify, and Grey might be the worst of the lot), and therefore alienating those coaches that don't favor that play style.

Don't want this to be misconstrued as sour grapes, because I'm still winning most of the time (around 80%, I believe), but it really does get boring when you're just hoping to slip one past a wall of dwarves in 9 out of 10 games.

katadder

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 5:49 pm

yep. swapping dwarves in as a main race was a mistake. same as swapping chaos in as one. with humans as main race at least you wouldnt have a wall of tackle, guard, mighty blow, or cpomb.
the game is definitely orientated towards bash teams and swapping in the major race has made this even worse. it was at least slightly more balanced with previous line ups.
also the time limit favours bash teams who can just huddle up in their dz
Next

Return to General Forum