[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - Precarious Position ?? And some rules who can be changed

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:12 pm

Precarious Position ?? And some rules who can be changed

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

Evilstein

Precarious Position ?? And some rules who can be changed

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 am

Well, I know it's in the rules but I don't know if it's a good thing or not.
Add more luck to the game, and too much luck factor can ruin a game. ( I make already to much 1, and even with the agilty teams)

(1) What do you think about this ? Remove it ? Only for Lethal trap ? For all trap ?

Yeah you must respect the rules, I'm the first to say this. Exemple for the fouls rules. Now I admit that there must be another rule : (2) "If a prone player don't get up, you can foul it with no risk to be send off (Magicians don't like the Death Roller and the cowards)", in order to prevent the blocking corridor thing. Good compromise.

But think that DB was made before the LRB 6 and don't get a good lifting after all.
Cyanide , if they are not stuborn to the GW blablabla SIC... and have some courage, can improve the gameplay to a higher level :ugeek: ....ok I can dream but serioulsy you can do better.

(3) Another thing, they forgot to code "the leap for everyone" !

(1), (2), (3)
Go !

Nota Bene : Yeah, and (4) => Secret Weapon and Death Roller but we already talk about it :D
(5) is of course the roster themself, the Troll Race is just a joke (2 Big Guys limit and acces to all race in 0-16, 0-16 Norsk, 0-16 Orks etc... The Glorious King Lorcan Spirit)

Thx to them for making this game but they don't reach Gold . Gold was use since the dawn of humanity and will be still here in 1000 years. Green Money no.

katadder

Re: Precarious Position ?? And some rules who can be changed

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am

Precarious position has to stay as its part of what makes DB DB. just wish that lethal traps didnt allow KO'd and badly hurt players back on the pitch.
I'm also ok with it being bugged as it is in that the defender in a block doesnt have to make the roll, losing players to blocks is bad enough, losing them on opponents turn when you cant use RR is worse.

until the DR is fixed somehow i am also happy with fouls getting people sent off, once DR is fixed one foul per turn with no sending off is good by me though.

leap for everyone would make elf teams impossible to catch. i think you should be able to leap prone players though even if you dont have leap skill.

Brihaspati

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

katadder wrote:leap for everyone would make elf teams impossible to catch. i think you should be able to leap prone players though even if you dont have leap skill.

It would not be "leap for everyone", it would allow to leap over obstacles only, and not over players in corridors and such. The rules are worded somewhat poorly, but I'd say "obstacles" should be interpreted as "traps". It's a very important rule, that should be implemented.

As for precarious positions, I think it's actually a source of "good" randomness. It discourages mindless blocking in the vicinity of traps. Removing or nerfing it would deprive DB's gameplay of one of its most distinctive features and would be a very bad idea IMO. The thing about testing for it when trying to pick up the ball should be implemented. As for implementing precarious position tests when receiving a block, I don't have anything against it, as long as you can re-roll one such failed test (even if it's in your opponent's turn). In addition, one may houserule that players with Stand Firm or Sidestep cannot fall into things when they are the targets of a block. Their skills would be applied instead (which would mean that a Sidestepping player would get to move a square).

katadder wrote:until the DR is fixed somehow i am also happy with fouls getting people sent off, once DR is fixed one foul per turn with no sending off is good by me though.

You can only declare a foul action per turn. Proponents of having no ref in the dungeons would be very happy with a compromise involving one free foul per turn :lol: The idea of allowing to foul a prone player that doesn't get up in his turn without risking a sending-off is not bad, though.

A-r-c-h-o-n

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm

1) Precarious Position

The question is to remove the rule from the game? Honestly I like it the "bugged" way it is now, because it makes the game more tactical. I have to think twice as active player, if i make a block or not. I also can choose, to bring a player in contact, so that MAYBE my opponent gets lured into blocking on his turn and MAYBE falls into the pit.

Beside - i always wondered, why there is no new (general) skill introduced in DB, that prevents that roll. Seems like a good choice for some players to take.

2) fouling and the ref!

It should stay as it is. If my opponent places a SF-guy in a narrow passage and I am dumb enough to not choose to have a juggernaut player or another one with jump in my team, that's my vault (and good play of him). SF really makes the game more tactical here and when I try to foul such a player away, at least I should suffer the consequences (sometimes).

3) leap

Yes, they forgot it - and I like it. It - again - makes the game more tactical. If they would implement it now, most of the dungeons would need to be redesigned, because the whole point of db is, that you simply can't go "everywhere".

4) Secret Weapon

just raise the cost for a SW +75% (for example) or expel it after 8 turns.

5) Rosters

nuff said.
Last edited by A-r-c-h-o-n on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bucc

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Good thread. I would like to see one that puts together all the issues and suggestions for DB together in one place. As i am using my phone right now, i can't do it thus moment.

PP i like. Should be rolled for the defender as well though, making it harder to lock down bridges.

Fouling i liked way more before. I really like the compromise of free fouling on players not standing up. Not likely to be implemented though, too unsmooth. As it is now, it sucks

Leaping obstacles and traps. Yeah should be here.

DR needs to be adressed.

Dabus1

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Thoughts:

Generally the game works well, and the rules make sense and most of them just lend themselves to working out tactics to deal with them.

The only issues to my mind are rules designed for BB which now when they appear in DB do not have the same effect on the way a game is played and this affects game balance to a much greater extent than shoudl be acceptable.

The obvious one here is 'secret weapon'. This is supposed to be a detriment and the fact that it is there affects the cost if the player. With only one drive it is irrelevant in DB, but the cost is the same. This is what should be amended. I would do this not just for the DR, but also for the goblin weapons as well, which although not as unbalancing, are also too cheap. (a looney should not be a similar price to a normal goblin clearly, with secret weapon not being detrimental).

Similarly, Treemen are slightly overpriced, with 'Take Root' making them more useless than they might otherwise be.

I'm sure there are others, but those are off the top of my head.

Gaixo

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Perhaps chainsaws should have their price increased, but fanatics are much less useful in the DB format than they are in BB. There are some maps in which they cannot move without taking a chance of rolling into a trap. Similarly, bombardiers are less useful than usual because the cage is not the central offensive technique in DB. DeathRollers, on the other hand, are if anything more useful in DB than in BB.

Is Cyanide allowed to or capable of making decisions about such matters, though?

Lomi

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Kick Off Return & Kick need removing.

Fan Factor should also be removed, as should fame.

Not to add to the secret weapon debate, but probably the best solution is when a weapon leaves the field it can't re-enter no matter what, i.e bh'd or ko'd still make the weapon stay out as it has now been sent off. Yes it is hard to get a roller off the pitch, but you want to know that when you do that is a lot of TV the coach won't have re-entering.

Evilstein

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 6:19 pm

For (1) the problem is that in some/a lot of bad design maps it's like "roll a die at EVERY action you make" on a 1 your player die (almost)..

Gaixo

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 6:23 pm

Lomi wrote:Not to add to the secret weapon debate, but probably the best solution is when a weapon leaves the field it can't re-enter no matter what, i.e bh'd or ko'd still make the weapon stay out as it has now been sent off. Yes it is hard to get a roller off the pitch, but you want to know that when you do that is a lot of TV the coach won't have re-entering.

I've mentioned this option before. I would also mandate that the Secret Weapons must begin the game on the field.

Speaking of which, is it a bug which forces you to have your mercenaries on the field at the start of the game?
Next

Return to General Forum