[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
• View topic - How can I report a cheater?

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm

How can I report a cheater?

THE DUNGEON : The place to share your game experience.
  • Author

A-r-c-h-o-n

Re: How can I report a cheater?

PostFri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 pm

I am unsure where to put it (and dont want to open an new thread), and it kind of belongs here:

I have currently a game running, where my opponent and I played a stalling tactic (the match was actually very interesting until turn 18 or so). Now seems to just have gone and left DB running - getting the timeout-turnover since 10 rounds.

1) is there a way to detect such a thing and prevent it. Like noticing, a player didnt move anything in the last x turns and abadoning autamatically in such a case?

2) it seems to be a bug here - normally the game ends (with wrongfully awarding both mvps to the "last man standing"-team). It seems like that condition is not checked, when the last player leaves the pitch due to a foul.

3) maybe it would be a good idea to implement the possibility to blacklist other coaches, so that you dont get paired with them again (even for ranked). I know, it may be exploitable, but its not funny to have an opponent just "leaving" the game.

Dabus1

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 1:51 pm

cheaters should be punished every time without fail imo.

As for quitting the game when you aren't winning. I think it is really bad form to do so if the other player is actively trying to get a TD, or working their way towards that, even if you can't see any possible way to win yourself.

I haven't ever quit a game, (except once when the missus was giving me grief :)), however I think I would do if I was clearly already beaten, and my opponent had the ball and was making no attempt to move towards a TD despite being unimpeded from doing so.

Nothing wrong with bashing your opponent on the way to the inevitable TD, but I certainly wouldnt delay a TD for several turns in order to try to get more casualties/deaths. That is just going to pi$$ peeps off, and we need to build a community not aggravate people who may then not play again.

Reed

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Dabus1 wrote:we need to build a community not aggravate people who may then not play again.

Hear, hear!

Brihaspati

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Dabus1 wrote:cheaters should be punished every time without fail imo.

As for quitting the game when you aren't winning. I think it is really bad form to do so if the other player is actively trying to get a TD, or working their way towards that, even if you can't see any possible way to win yourself.

That's very interesting (as in, not really). And what do you think about T16 fouling in standard BB?

The thing is, there's a very clear definition of what constitutes cheating: taking advantage of stuff that is not in the rules. We all agree that cheating falls within the domain of "bad form". Since it's not in the rules, this would also include taking advantage of Cyanide's poorly thought-out auto-wins in DB, as you rightly say.

In addition, there are coaches who consider that the notion of "bad form" can be applied to things that are indeed included in the rules, like legal concessions and T16 fouling. This has been known to lead to interminable, fruitless discussions in which moral posturing is rife.

In my strictly personal, subjective, not incontrovertible or apodictic opinion, futile grandstanding about being well 'ard (in the case of concessions) or a perfect gentleman (when considering the possibility of a good-natured kick to a prone player's head as a parting shot) are "badder than bad form" :lol:

Dabus1 wrote:I haven't ever quit a game.

That's great. I haven't ever taken "diving catch" as a skill choice on a halfling team. One doesn't have to do all that's within the rules!

Brihaspati

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Incidentally, and since the above post might well spark the kind of fruitless discussion I'm griping about, I'd like to stress the importance of context in the kind of situations we're talking about.

Many private leagues have house rules against concessions. That's perfectly reasonable, because it's a good way to make sure that the participants have a modicum of staying power.

Also, if one wants to concede it's a good idea to announce one's intention to throw in the towel. If the soon-to-be-victorious opponent is clearly about to score with a specific player (one that's going to level up, or perhaps a low-agility piece of the kind that takes ages to develop), allowing the opposition to score normally is in all likelihood the proper thing to do.

Context awareness is a basic social skill, one that is essential to display courteous behaviour. All right.

However, considering that:

-"lame duck" endgame scenarios happen all the time in this game; and

-the matchmaking environment is designed to find casual games with ease;

demanding that a soon-to-be-defeated party in matchmaking should always play the role of the lame duck, demurely, to the tedious end is probably a bit too much. People should be allowed to move on and try again, which is in my strictly personal opinion a healthier attitude than "never say die".

And, of course, saying "never" is the very opposite of context awareness.

Digression: one of the reasons why I dislike FUMBBL is that the site is way too large to have a general anti-concessions policy, and yet it does seem to have one. Creepy.

OwningXylophone

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 pm

I know this is not really the place for this, but I have only quit 1 game of DB, and here's why. I'd love to know if you guys think I was in the right here.

Turn 13, my opponent had cleared all of my players with no real way for me to stop his werewolf scoring 2 turns later due to the mass of other players. I moved my guys back so at most all he could do was 1 blitz each turn and to get it over with a little faster, conceding if you will without quitting the actual game. The werewolf tripped going for it and the ball ended up in my endzone on the floor, a forgone conclusion you would think... The werewolf stands up the next tun and manages to pickup the ball, however, instead of scoring the coach then tries to pass the ball to his trollslayer (so both AG 2 players) and fails. This continues for another 10 turns (not exaggerating!). I asked multiple times WHY he was doing this and not just getting the TD (that he had 5 chances to do by this time) to which he responded that he wanted 1 SPP for his wolf to go up and the TD for his TS so he went up too (this was about turn 20). I did tell him that I thought that was a bit lame, but put up with it for a little longer. After turn 25 (with 2 dead players to boot) I told him I'd had quite enough and quit.

So, my question, who was in the wrong? Me? Him? Both?

Reed

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 pm

To me, he was in the wrong. He should first have asked you if it was OK to try for that a bit and then have the sense to quit trying when it wasn't happening in a reasonable amount of time. Just as a matter of common courtesy, if nothing else.

Brihaspati

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 pm

- You did nothing that was against the rules;

-The other guy was wasting your time with mind-numbingly boring attempts to farm SPPs;

-You showed your willingness to allow him to score with a "late bloomer" kind of player like the Ulfwerener;

-The guy knew it was within your power to concede at any time and yet he kept on acting like a churlish bore.

So, basically, why do you have any second thoughts about the concession? It was not against the alleged spirit of really real BB/DB, it was a perfectly normal thing to do.

Gamers and their strange fetishes :lol:
Previous

Return to General Forum